Pages

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Crepes


Easy, fast and indulgent. Why go out for fancy crepes when you can make it at home in probably the same amount of time it takes for you to get to the restaurant? This is my go to crepes recipe. It's easy and you can add just about any filling your heart desires. I can't ask for much more. I happened to be making a banana foster type filling the day I made these crepes and so the recipe follows that.

Ingredients:

Crepes:
2 eggs
2 tablespoon butter, melted
3 tablespoon sugar (omit if making savory crepes)
1 cup flour
1 1/3 cup milk ( I use 2%)

Banana filling:
2 bananas
~ 2 tablespoon sugar ( I used brown, but white works as well)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


1. Mix the eggs, sugar and butter.


2. While whisking, slowly add flour. Incorporate as much flour as you can. If the paste is too thick, you can start adding a little bit of the milk. I find I can add all of my flour into the mixture. Once all of the flour has been added, you'll have a very thick paste.


3. Slowly add the milk. Whisk the milk in ass you're adding it to incorporate it. This helps reduce the amount of lumps you will have. If you still had some left over flour, add it slowly in between adding the milk. The batter should be lump free and very thin once everything has been whisked together.

4. To make the crepes, I used a regular, non-stick pan. I sprayed some oil on it. Once the pan is heated, add just enough batter to make about a 4 inch circle, I used about a 1/4 cup of batter for each crepe. Take the pan and twirl the batter around so that it's spread out in a thin circle.

5. Once the edges are set, flip the crepe. I use a spatula to get under the crepe and flip it over. Cooking the second side takes seconds, literally about 15 seconds. During this time you can either add your filling or just flip the crepe out onto a plate and add the filling then.




6. Spray the pan again and repeat.

7. To make the banana filling, peel and slice the banana.

8. Melt 2 tablespoon of butter in a saucepan under low heat.

9.Once butter has slightly turned brown, add bananas. When bananas become squishy (technical term, I know), add sugar. Once sugar is incorporated, smash the banana with a wooden spoon until the pieces are small. Add the vanilla extract and some water if you feel that the filling is too thick.

I find that if I use riper bananas, the consistency is perfect, but if I use under-ripe ones, I have to add about a tablespoon or so of sugar. As always, taste it as you're going to make sure it's perfect for you!


Enjoy the final product. On the left side of the plate is just a plain crepe with no filling. I usually spread some nutella or honey on the plain crepes. Enjoy it however your heart desires =)

1 comment:

  1. Savory crepes are surprisingly good, too! I recommend a Croque Monsieur type savory crepe - ham, mustard, gruyere and a very thin scrambled egg (if you want to make it a Croque Madame ;])

    ReplyDelete