Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Scallop Ceviche

This is my first attempt at making ceviche. It always looked so amazing when Alton Brown makes it so I wanted to give it a try. It also helps that Ben really really really wanted to eat it and bought all the ingredients (in the off chance I might make it). Of course, since I had the ingredients in the fridge, I thought I should give it a try. The recipe is not hard so don't let the word ceviche scare you like it did me. Give it a try =)

Most of you know I don't usually measure when I cook, but since the proper amount of citrus is needed to cook the scallop, here is a breakdown of what I use, followed by the recipe. The recipe is adapted from epicurious.

Ingredients:
1 pound of scallops (either sea or bay scallops)
1 cup of cherry tomatoes, chopped
1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (use more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 stalks of scallions, diced
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1 cup orange juice
salt to taste

1. You can use either Bay or Sea scallops, whatever is fresher that day. We bought sea scallops. Each scallop was thick so I sliced the scallop in half and then quartered the half (just make smaller pieces).


2. Chop the cilantro, scallions, jalapeno pepper and cherry tomatoes. Add it to the citrus and mix.



3. Add the citrus and herbs mixture to the scallops. Add salt to taste and mix.


4. Wrap the dish in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before eating. Remember to store the ceviche in nonreactive bowl ( a bowl that won't react to the acid).


5. Taste the scallops to make sure it's to your liking and serve! Add fresh cilantro for garnish. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks really yummy! I'm going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really good! I actually want to make it again too. Let me know how yours comes out =)

    ReplyDelete