Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Sweet Potato Fries!

I loveeee sweet potato fries, but cannot seem to make them crispy. I tried to bake sweet potato fries in a variety of different ways and haven't been able to manage the level of crispiness that's found in restaurants. Finally, I decided to try to fry them. I found that this double fry method really works well, especially since sweet potatoes have more moisture in them and don't tend to crisp up as much as regular potatoes do.

1. Boil the potatoes for ~10 minutes and let cool.

2. Peel them and cut into match sticks (make sure they're evenly cut so they will take the same amount of time to cook).


3. Heat up a pot with oil, making sure to leave some room (about 3 inches) from the top of the oil to the top of the pan to minimize splatter.

4. The recipe I used said to heat the oil up to 300 degrees, but since I don't have a thermometer, I just put my burner to medium and hoped that worked.

5. Add the fries in batches to the hot oil. Stir occasionally until the potatoes are soft. This took about 3 minutes.


6. Remove the fries from the oil and drain them on paper towels. Continue to fry the rest of the fries.


7. Let the fries rest for 10 minutes and in the meantime, heat up the oil to 350 degrees. I just turned my burner up to high.

8. Add the fries to the hot oil and fry them until they look golden and crispy. This is a fast process so keep a careful watch. Remove the fries from the oil and drain them on paper towels. Repeat until fries are done.The fries pictured below are not as crispy as the rest came out, but they were still good.


9. I added kosher salt to mine and ate it with some ketchup. Feel free to add whatever seasoning you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment